Selenium WebDriver is the successor to Selenium RC. Selenium WebDriver accepts commands (sent in Selenese, or via a Client API) and sends them to a browser. This is implemented through a browser-specific browser driver, which sends commands to a browser, and retrieves results. Most browser drivers actually launch and access a browser application (such as Firefox or Internet Explorer); there is also an HtmlUnit browser driver, which simulates a browser using HtmlUnit.
- WebDriver is a web based automation testing tool which uses core java API to drive a test on the browser.
- WebDriver has browser native support with all the browser.
- WebDriver is a new version of selenium which removes may drawbacks & issue in selenium RC.
- Technically WebDriver is an interface or other browser driver classes implemented web-driver.
- WebDriver supports following Driver:
- Mozila Fire Fox – FirefoxDriver
- Internet Explorer – InternetExplorerDriver
- Safari – SafariDriver
- Chrome – ChromeDriver etc…